Last month we spoke about the benefits of switching the QuickBooks file you have been using forever to Xero. This month we will take a look at QuickBooks Online. This program has been around for many years, but has always been on Intuit’s back burner. It has lacked many of the features of the desktop version and was a major disappointment to early users because it looks and acts nothing like it’s desktop cousin because it is an entirely different program. However, Intuit has been making major changes to the program in the past two years to catch up with features offered by competitors such as Xero and to take advantage of the increase of businesses that are migrating to the cloud.
The main benefit to using the QuickBooks Online Edition is because it offers anytime, anywhere access to QuickBooks for up to 25 simultaneous users, while QuickBooks desktop version offers Webex Remote Access as a solution for accessing QuickBooks from a remote location, but does not allow simultaneous access for multiple remote users.
Other benefits are:
- Online Edition upgrades are free and usually released 2 to 3 times per year; it is not necessary to purchase a new version of QuickBooks Online Edition. Desktop versions of QuickBooks are purchased as new software each year, although multiple free updates to the program are released throughout the supported life of the purchased software.
- Online Edition includes support is at no additional cost. Support for desktop versions of QuickBooks is not included for the life of the product.
- Online Edition Plus tracks inventory.
- Online Edition does not integrate with QuickBooks Point of Sale as desktop versions of QuickBooks do.
- Online Edition does not offer QuickBooks Bill Pay as but desktop versions of QuickBooks do.
- Online Edition does not do complete job costing, although it does track expenses by job. QuickBooks desktop versions offers complete job costing.
- Online Edition offers less flexibility with regard to customizing forms or reports than QuickBooks desktop versions.
Source: QuickBooks Support Website